[FRIAM] On old question

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 25 17:55:14 EDT 2018

Hi, David,

Serendipity!  Your letter struck me like a thunderbolt, because I had dedicated the morning to carefully rereading Rosen's first chapter.  And for the first time, I think I got it! Rosen doesn't put it that way, but I think I want to say that his chapter is all about the distinction between “materialism” -- the belief that all that is consists of matter ==> and its relations <== and “mechanism”, the belief that the nature of parts tells you everything you need to know about the wholes those parts compose.  We need a science of biology that is materialistic but NOT mechanistic.

Now, if ever there was an idea that would fit with you, I would think this would be it.  CS, it seems to me, is all about cutting loose the program … the relations … from the machine.  That is explains why Rosen and others are so hard on the Turing MACHINE metaphor.  They think that metaphor traps us in a focus on parts, rather than relations.  A program need not be faithful to the machine on which it runs if it encodes the relations that need to be achieved.

To answer the question What is Life? we have so many more tools than we did when Rosen wrote.  The evo-devo literature is full of examples of what I guess I would call organizational serendipity.  The most inspiring example, to me, is the current explanation for the origin of life.  The way the question has always been posed to me before is how did life arise spontaneously from parts. But if life is an organization of things from another organization, the question becomes, “What kind of an organization could scaffold the organization we call life.  Enter the white smokers with their rich source of energetic chemicals and their intricate cellular structure.  So, life is the inadvertent consequence of one kind of organization coming into contact with another kind of parts in such a way that the native possibilities for the parts to work together are scaffolded by the organization.

I am not at all sure where this leaves us with “natural programming.”  As you point out, my concept of natural may be complete at odds with yours.  Mine grows out of the following analogy:  Artificial selection : natural selection : : artificial design  : natural design.  If artificial design – the appropriateness of a domestic species to the needs of the breeder -- is what is explained by artificial selection, what is explained by natural selection?  What precisely is natural design?  In the absence of a God to tell us what s/he wants, how do we read off of nature itself the demands to which her/his  creatures are adapted?

But serendipity by definition is a violation of design.  The serendipitous structure  is one that makes something happen without being designed to do so.  Translating that into the CP domain, your problem is to write a program that somehow promotes serendipity given that the serendipity involves, inherently, a discontinuity between what you seek and what are likely to find.

If I, in my enthusiasm, have run all over your nice clean though with my muddy feet, please forgive me.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson