[FRIAM] Formalizing the concept of design

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Mon Oct 29 03:25:58 EDT 2018

Eric,

Thanks for forwarding Bob Shaw's work to the list. I had the honor of
sharing a few pints with Bob at "Sweet Williams" Pub, in Michael Turvey's
and Claudio Carello's basement :-)

Nick, check out the video Eric linked to and then maybe this paper:
"Hints of Intelligence From First Principles" with his son Jeff.
   http://commons.trincoll.edu/robertshaw/files/2016/02/first_principles.pdf

As we've discussed over the last few years, The Action Principle (energy *
time) and least (stationary) action may provide a more fundamental
selection principle in biology than natural selection and could be a
mathematical formulation you're asking for. Many applied problems in
complexity like ant algorithms using dual pheromone fields, level-set
methods, and route search on a road network using simultaneous floodflill
from both origins and destinations might be considered least action path
selection. I make the claim on intuition - I expect Eric Smith would reject
or accept this based on more formal understanding.