[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Sep 13 20:45:08 EDT 2018

How did they forget to invite a nihilist to that Harris/Peterson panel?

A nihilist might observe that a multi-cellular organism can have billions of states and the interactions between billions of different organisms is exponentially larger still.
There's no reason to think in the evolution that led to humans to this point has tested all possible ways for groups to form and dissolve, or even sparsely sampled the possibilities.   To Peterson, that God is the wisdom of humankind (and mostly men it seems), is just confusing the samples that have been seen so far (and captured in some stupid volumes) with the samples that could be made if we are all Free to be You and Me.  But the samples cannot be even be taken in a socially conservative regime because it prevents it.

I have no idea what Harris is talking about things being obviously good or bad.   First world problems can be pretty horrific w.r.t. to addiction, suicide, and inequality.   Sit outside at a McDonalds in most any city for half hour or so and you'll eventually notice someone finishing out garbage for their dinner.

So there,

Marcus