[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 14:01:22 EDT 2018

I make a similar argument about gun control.  Most of my friends are advocates of stronger regulation.  They *think* I'm also an advocate of such.  And, objectively, I am because I sometimes parrot a subset of their arguments.  E.g. I argue that there are multiple types of cause (perhaps 4: formal, final, efficient, material).  And, yes the gun nuts hinge their arguments on efficient cause, which is fine.  But it's irresponsible to ignore the material cause: guns.  But those who know me, know I'm an inherent supporter of weapon freedom.  Anyone ought to be able to own (and use) pretty much any weapon they want.  I don't vote that way, though.  And most of my acquaintances don't know that about me.  My 2-faced position depends fundamentally on my belief that human life just isn't that important.  I think, say, cougars[†] and bacteria have just as much right to life as humans.  And, to some extent, humans are destroying the ecosystem.  So, it's difficult for me to keep a straight face and claim that human life is somehow sacred. (It's even easier now that I have cancer.)  So, yeah, more guns = more dead people.  Personally, that's OK with me.  Politically, however, it's a reality and if we all *understand* that more guns means more dead people ... and we don't want more dead people, then the only rational thing is to more strictly regulate (or eliminate) guns.

[†] https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/09/hunt_for_killer_cougar_in_oreg.html

The Peterson/Harris argument is mostly about dogma.  But if we munge the words/concepts a bit, we could just as easily make it about schema, where some of the variables are bound and others are free.  I think if we did that, it would be trivial to admit both that this weaker form of dogma (arrived at by bio- or cultural evolution) does not disallow the rationalist the freedom to update the schema whenever some multi-objective optimization algorithm suggests it needs updating.  I think, the problem with the 2nd video (their 2nd night of discussion) was that they just danced around our tendency to dichotomize *everything* always.  It's just another example of how artificial discretization prevents people who agree on 90% of everything from codifying where they disagree.

--
☣ uǝlƃ