[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

∄ uǝʃƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 10:43:55 EDT 2018

Sorry for being vague.  In the weight/scale example, the intervention would be something like "I'm not going to eat today because the scale said I'm heavier than yesterday."  That type of conflation of instant measures with trends will likely lead to a similar over-intervention in the other direction, "I get to have desert today because the scale said I way 2 lbs less than yesterday."  It's also the type of conflation that confuses people into thinking "weather" and "climate" are the same thing.

Even in your example, we might notice that even though there are N licenses doled out, the deer population continues to rise.  It would be over-intervention to simply issue more licenses.  Perhaps the people getting the licenses are mostly an aging population who don't hunt much anymore but have some semi-automated approach to getting a license?  Proper intervention would require us to figure out the actual relation between licenses issued and population.  And such relations need not be linear.  In fact, I'd argue that most relations like that are nonlinear.  Which means that those experiments (changing one variable at a time) are not only NOT the best experiments, but that they have mislead us completely.  Such linear thinking has prevented us from taking into account the "externalities" of any given policy, causes us to mis-headline any given scientific publication, etc.

--
∄ uǝʃƃ