[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 15:52:56 EDT 2018

Redundancy in a neural network can allow for something like abstraction, which I suppose is "psychological".  E.g. let's say you have two sub-networks of input edges, where only 1 of the sub-networks must be activated in order to trigger a given pattern in the next layer.  If the 2 sub-networks trigger the *same* pattern in the next layer, then that next-layer pattern has an ambiguous grounding (perhaps giving rise to something *like* a "representation of what a number is" ... or at least the concept of an ambiguous "variable" of some kind.  The more sub-networks that generate the same "next layer pattern", the more abstract that pattern is.

If your imagination allows you to extrapolate that idea, it seems reasonable that the same "next layer pattern" might be generated by *both*, say, spinning a basketball on your finger and thinking about spinning a basketball on your finger.  The same "next layer pattern" might obtain for a cat cleaning its own paw vs. seeing another cat cleaning its paw.

But is that "psychologizing"?

--
☣ uǝlƃ