[FRIAM] do animals psychologize?

∄ uǝʃƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:07:36 EDT 2018

So, I think I've landed on my opinion.  And I seriously hope it wasn't, in any part, because of The Happening. 8^)

If psychologizing is the inference to a partly unobservable, yet introspectable, internal state of another organism, then it requires the (≥2) organisms to have these features:

1) a systemic state like that glutamate/calcium messaging system that produces a (partly) observable behavior,

2) a self-perceptive structure that responds to that systemic state, and

3) an other-perceptive structure capable of perceiving others' behaviors and inferring/mapping to their own internal states.

It seems fairly clear that organisms with a CNS have (1) and (2).  And the memory and messaging in the 2 articles cited for plants demonstrate that at least some plants have (1).  And it seems fairly obvious that the more complex animals have (3) [†].  So, it makes the most sense to suggest that complex animals psychologize.  Where to draw the line is an issue, of course.  I doubt anyone would suggest that protozoa have (3), however powerful their (2) is with their dual nuclei or whatnot.  But I don't think we have much evidence that plants have (2). I'd be happy to be proven wrong. [‡]

It's also important to note that the inferences made in (3) need not be accurate.  The phrase "mind reading" goes beyond what I think is implied by "psychologizing" by requiring the inferred state be somewhat similar to the other organism's internal state.  So, my cat may well infer that I'm tossing that hackey sack around for the same reasons she tosses her mouse toy around.  And she may be completely wrong about that.  But she's still psychologizing.

[†] Humans and their ilk have many higher order self-measuring systems with at least 2 very abstracted "executives" in the head and gut ... systems measuring systems measuring systems, etc. But all that (I think) is required here is at least 1 higher order derivative, a plexus that observes the 0th order systemic state directly.

[‡] I can't help but wonder about distributed organisms like aspen groves or mycelia networks and their inter-species cooperation.  I also can't help but wonder how superorganisms might satisfy (1-3).

--
∄ uǝʃƃ