[FRIAM] da foist pictures of a black hole

Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Mon Apr 15 21:01:40 EDT 2019

Nick, hi again and thanks for kind words,

I agree that, were there world enough and time, I would like to join in as a traveling companion of Pierce.  The bits you have circulated, and that I have had time to read, have that highest of virtues: reasonableness.

In the past week it happens that, when digging for something unrelated, I found a part of the multiscale picture (or a version thereof) that I have been looking forward to:
https://www.nao.ac.jp/en/news/sp/20190410-eht/images/20190410-eht-eavnjet.png
(The kanji 光年 (Kōnen) mean “light years”).

There may be a dimension of the “what is seeing” conversation here too.  The telescopes are all different.  Hubble, EHT, and EAVN all image in different wavelengths (visible, mm, cm, respectively), and have more or fewer similarities of mechanism.  To the extent that all of these “fingers pointing at the moon” present co-registerable images, albeit at different feature lengths, we think the composite image of the moon is a more literal proxy for seeing than any single instrument’s output.

The question of the role of the intersubjective, whether biological or prosthetic, in creating the mental world of the individual is probably also central to getting one’s concepts correctly carved up, but that is too much for today, and probably for me.

All best,

Eric