[FRIAM] New Mexico Legacy

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Apr 25 16:44:03 EDT 2019

I am in the midst of copy-editing my partner's  (Mary) own memoir of
about 300 pages, she has been a spotty journal keeper throughout her
adult life, but the sections where she IS able to include quotes from
"that moment" are acutely real.   She is also a poet, so various poems
written at those moments or inspired by the events add another dimension.

My own grandfather was a chronic journaler, starting at age 18 with a
small pocket-journal he scribbled observations in from Europe at the end
of WWI.   It is shockingly real to see the pencil marks this man made a
good 60 years before I ever saw them.   I was told I reminded people a
lot of him, though all I knew of him in person was a "grumpy old man"
that I only saw every few years.  I think he was 60 when I was born.  He
was not particularly introspective, but a lifetime of observations about
the world around him painted a picture as much of the artist as the
subjects.

As part of this exercise, we have read a lot of memoirs and memoiresque
essays, mostly by poets and other writers who are reflecting on their
own writing process.   I have been very impressed with these
self-expose's.  Stephen King's "On Writing" and several of Mary Karr's
memoiresque collections come to mind.

- Steve