[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 12:58:13 EDT 2019

Glen,

You are right, here.  We could conduct this conversation just as well if not better over the question of how the organism develops from the zygote.

Still, I think it's useful to have the conversation about the "-Isms" every once in a while, because we are committed to them in ways we do not know.  I was in a forum with a bunch of physicists last year many of whom were wedded to the notion that nature was determined by things beyond experience that we would never know.  That's both a tautology AND an oxymoron.

After my exchange with Lee, I wasn't sure the conversation couldn't be had around the manner in which cellular automata generate entirely unexpected outcomes ... "seething dog vomit" as Carl used to so charmingly say ... never mind psychology or biology.   Clearly, the fact that we understand how something came about (in the way that we "understand", down to the finest detail, how cellular automata phenomena are generated) cannot be the criterion for non-conscious, if we are ever to ask the question, "How do we explain consciousness?" in any way that is not inane.  (Geez, was that a quadruple negative?)

But I am clearly in over my head, here.   I am still trying to get for Russ a definition of the material relation that is consciousness, something that I used to do confidently only a few years ago.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson