[FRIAM] Fwd: Archangel Michael's Message For You

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Aug 19 16:26:35 EDT 2019

Merle -

I am fairly new to the nighttime talk shows... I certainly saw a few
handfuls of Carsons and Lettermans over the decades but about 3 years
ago I started watching Colbert (nearly) nightly and then began to spill
over on the other News-as-Comedy characters.   You mention Trevor Noah,
and I have truly come to appreciate him, but he was a bit of an acquired
taste.  My 21 year old nephew insists that John Oliver is the "go to"
for his generation.   It may just be his "circle".

I truly appreciate how these folks who are (all?) comedians first can be
as astute as they are about social and political issues.   They often
fall short (IMO) on deeper economic or foreign policy or ??? issues, but
they seem to be *at least* as informed and thoughtful as the average
college educated professional, and *often* much more in touch with the
"unwashed masses".

I almost completely missed the John Stewart ascendency, even though he
was "in the water"...  most of my knowledge of him and his role was
second hand at best.

I find Bill Mahr a (mostly) refreshing alternative with his (nearly)
Libertarian perspective.   His blunt flipness reminds me a bit too much
of Dennis Miller who *seemed* so wonderfully aware and thoughtful behind
his snark... but his flip over into near-radical Conservatism was a
shock (in response to 9-11?).

- Steve