[FRIAM] [EXT] Re: A pluralistic model of the mind?

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 13:40:50 EST 2019

Dear Friammers,

Alas, I was wrong.  I DID have something to say.  Sorry about that.

Since eric has laid out three versions of monism so clearly, I thought perhaps it was time to lay out the version of dualism we are opposing, or, more precisely, the dead horse we are flogging.  The dualism that I abhor is the mind-body dualism.  It begins with the notion that there are two kinds of stuff, “mind stuff” and “body stuff”, or “mind stuff” and “material stuff” and then plunges into a great obscurantist orgy concerning how these two different kinds of stuff could possibly be related.  “Oh Wow!  Isn’t wonderful that the World actually gets into the Mind!”  The wonder is, of course, that we ever separated the world from the mind in the first place.

The dualist thinks that stuff comes in two streams, like Santa Fe Refuse Collection, the life stream and the and objects stream.  The mystery for the dualist is how we manage to mix them up.  For the monist the mystery is how we manage to separate them.  As anybody who lives in Santa Fe knows, the achievement is not mixing them up but managing somehow to separate them into the two bins such that the two different trucks will pick them up.  Thus we are monists with respect to refuse.  For the dualist, they are as oil and water; for the monist, they are as liquid and frozen water.  (Peirce actually says somewhere that matter is crystalized mind.)

The first task of the baby, presented to its parents, lolling in the nurse’s arms, is how do I control experience.  What stays with me always, that I will call “me”.  What comes and goes, because that I will call “other”?  What forms does “other” take?  What can I learn about “me” from the forms taken by “other”.  Etc.  “Inside” and “outside”, “mind” and  “body” are not given in experience, but are the first of a gazillion distinctions that we make in order to manage the flow of experience.

By the way, I am a monist with respect to life.  To me, death is not a an alternative to life.  It’s a nothing.  When I croak, the rest of you will shift from living while being pestered by Nick to living while not being pestered by Nick.  Both of those are forms of living. Nick himself becomes, simply, a zero. The point of view, “Nick”, simply ceases,  like the path to the compost heap at the end of the garden.   Death is NOT the alternative to life.  Death is non-life.   The idea of a life-dualism, a life, and a life after death, with a miraculous transformation from one to the other and back, is a preposterous and obscene notion put forward by those who would manipulate the living with the promises of joys or threats of horrors beyond the grave.

  _____

[NST===>] CAUTION

  _____

  _____

Only those few people (a null set, perhaps) interested in Peirce will be interested what follows.  The rest of you can safely shut this message down.  I have been pressing on you for several months that Peirce is a monist.  But a strong case can be made – and Eric has elsewhere made it – that Peirce is a triadist, or triplist, or 3-ist, or whatever you would have to be if you believed that there are, irreduceably, three kinds of stuff.  That case flows from Peirce’s metaphysics in which he says –ad nauseam—that before we can begin to talk we have to posit three, which he calls, Firsts, Seconds, and Thirds.  Once we have Firsts, Seconds, and Thirds, we have all the equipment to we need.  What are they?  Well, for starters, we can think of them as “Whack!”, “Ouch!”, and “Something hit me!”.   Now it follows, from triplism, that none of these things can be described in words because to do so we need to make a three out of each of them.  But it also follows from triplism that in order to go on talking about them we have to try.   Firsts, “Whacks!”, are happenings. Seconds, “Ouches!”, are reactions to happenings.  Thirds “Something-hit-me”’s, are relations among Firsts and Seconds.  All cognitions consist in such three-somes.  (This is what Peirce means when he says that all thought is in signs.)

Whether one is an experience monist or a triplist does not seem an urgent question to me, a matter of what Peirce would call, “an arrangement of words.  It suits me to think of Firsts, Seconds, and Thirds as events in the flow of experience.  I agree with Peirce that all thoughts involve all three, but, I suppose, imagine that there experiences that do not yet form thoughts.  So triplism, is fine by me.  Just so long as we avoid dualism in general and the mind-body dualism, in particular.

I need to close with the usual disclaimers that my Peirce mentor, Bybee, assures me that I know nothing of Peirce.

Also, with the usual expression of gratitude to all of you for my being allowed to imagine that are reading what I write here.  That illusion, scrupulously fostered by a few of you, has kept me alive and (reasonably) alert into my 80’s

All the best,

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/