[FRIAM] Swarms vs. herds

Ron Newman ron.newman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 19:16:01 EST 2019

Nick,
Yes, quick-and-dirty mob decision-making.

I'm interested in what the article described as everyone-at-once weighing
in on opinions.  And I don't see why they require AI - which is in essence
just pattern matching.  It sounds to me like what they're doing in
imitation of bees is a multi-pass compiler, just calculating weights of
opinions and iterating over and over.

I'm thinking about other ways this real-time iterative compilation of
opinion can be done.  Paul Paulus at has come up with an elegant, no-tech
solution called Brainwriting
<https://www.inc.com/magazine/20031001/strategies.html>.  Iterating that
quickly could be one way.

Norman Johnson (is he on this list?) has done a lot of work in how swarm/
Collective Intelligence systems solve for resiliency of the system as a
whole, and how "noise" is necessary to move out of well-worn local minima
in the solution space.  I'm hoping that Trump is just such a helpful noise,
inadvertently solving for eventual resiliency.

Ron Newman, M.S., M.M.E.
Founder, IdeaTreeLive.com <https://www.Ideatreelive.com> Knowledge Modeling
www.RonPiano.com
Blog <https://blog.ideatreelive.com>