[FRIAM] constructive explanations (was Re: A pluralistic model of the mind?)

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 12:24:15 EST 2019

Hi, Glen,

I like what you wrote below .... a lot.

It is redolent with Pragmatism ... a concern with the "practicial", as Eric insists that I say.  But there is something else lurking here which blind sided me and which I need to think hard about.  It's the word "creation".   Now, you computer folks are truly Gods to me; to me, you create stuff all the time.  To me, perhaps in my naivety, one of those crazy-mad cellular automata, that's life and somebody has created it.  Did Schelling create segregation.  By god, I think he did. Did Steve Guerin create ants.  Yup, by god, he did.  So when a computer scientist, programmer, software engineer, ai person, whatever you guys prefer to call yourselves, starts talking about "creation", my ears perk up.

What the hell is the meaning of 'creation" in those sentences above?  Here's a  proposal: One has "created", when one has written a recipe for emergence.  One collects stamps; one creates a cake.

Is it possible that my model of monism is based on my understanding of a line of code.  It would not be the first time that a theory in once discipline was based on an imperfect understanding of another.

How you drive my thinking on!

Nick

Nick Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com