[FRIAM] belly of the beast

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Dec 27 13:48:17 EST 2019

> Speaking of modeling environments and bellies and beasts, weren’t Glen
> and/or Marcus largely behind Swarm?

Yup!  I'd love to hear an anecdote or three from them.   I was just in
Copenhagen and spent a night with Steen Rasmussen and we reminisced
about the early days of ALife...

Swarm: The beast w/o a belly?

I've recently become fascinated with the varieties of natural swarming
behaviour, triggered by the "murmuration of starlings" and then the
finer distinctions of "shoaling" vs "schooling"  of "flocking" vs
"murmuration" and the different styles of "herd" behaviour among
ruminants (most recently caribou vs reindeer and superherd phenomena up
to 500,000?!).

I am curious if there are taxonomies of swarms predicted or explained by
Swarm models...

I have discussed superficially with Guerin Percolation models in social
networks, in particular self-modifying social networks.   Insight into
these very general and underspecified domains would be welcome.

- Steve

-