[FRIAM] Celeste Kidd - How to Know

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat Dec 28 13:40:30 EST 2019

[cid:53507BED-517D-4B62-B549-DE546EA871E1-L0-001]

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 28, 2019, at 10:26 AM, Steven A Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> wrote:

Marcus -

I do like the idea that a good "comedy team" might effectively de-weaponize deep-fakes...   like The Yes Men or SNL perhaps...   there is the risk that such "normalizes" deep fakes, but to the extent that it is already on it's way...  comedy-ifying may be the best (least-worst) alternative?

After Trump's ascendancy showed it's worst true-colors I had any number of "comedy-centric" ideations to generate a crowd-sourced reaction.   The first (dark) one was called "take a Dump for Trump" and involved variations on the old teenager's bad joke of placing a burning bag of dogshit on a rival's porch to be "stomped out".   The second was more campy and involved collecting donations to be put into a fund to pay out "bounties" on pie-throwers.   Think of an Iraq-War style pack of cards with faces/names/bounties on Trump and his inner-mid-outer circles.   Maybe starting with a $1 bounty for anyone who has shaken hands with him, spiraling in toward those working/living in the White House...

It would surely play havoc for the Secret Service but more entertaining I can just imagine the distortion of security at Mara Lago for him and his.   Would his aides who got booed out of restaurants a few years back instead have gotten a pie in the face (and a bounty big enough to fund future operations paid to the pie-thrower?).   Imagine all the pies being confiscated at the entry to one of his rallys?   With a $1 bounty on any rally attender, you might see a very different style and texture of counter-protest.

While there would surely be civil and legal consequences... there *would* also be a comic-relief and perhaps de-escalation of self-seriousness consequence as well.

I wonder if anyone has a (meta?) model of this kind of "changing the game"?

- Steve

Steve writes:

< I don't know how deeply technical the presumed election-manipulation of 2016 (now 2020) is, but it *does* seem like the work you reference here implies that with the information venues/vectors like streaming video (TV, Movies, Clips, attendant advertising) and social media (FB/Insta/Twit...) the understanding and tools are already in place to significantly manipulate public opinion.  Based on my anecdotal experience about people's *certainty*, this article is very on-point.   And this doesn't even reference the technology of "deep fakes".   >

What would be some fun deep fakes?   He’s decided the wall was all a big mistake and that now families in the south will be required to give up their living room floor and extra bedrooms for families that cross the border?   The especially vulnerable, like gender-conflicted teens are at the front of the line.    Once a week will be (mandatory) take your visitor to work day, where you train them to do your job.   Another good one might be the announcement of a  white people tax, which will pay reparations to native Americans and black people.     There’s a long list of fun taxes to announce, like 5 dollars per gallon for gasoline for each mpg less than 25mpg.    Oh, and how about tax incentives for mixed race couples in order to diversify the gene pool.   Concurrent with this, all other dependent tax deductions will be eliminated.   In fact, because of global warming, all children of non-mixed races couples will be subject to a $20,000 a year tax.  Churches will no longer be tax exempt.

Marcus