[FRIAM] Photos of popped balloon

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Feb 4 12:25:01 EST 2019

When I brought up homology I (for real) thought that in this case there
are *so many* alternatives I could have used. A short start of a list:

homology and cohomology

homotopy

triangulating the surface and counting vertices, edges, triangles, …
with signs

looking a functions on the surface and counting its critical points with
signs based on the types of critical points (max, min, saddle, etc) —
Morse theory

summing (with signs) the dimensionality of solutions of certain partial
differential equations on the surface

properties of open coverings of the surface (Čech cohomology)

a bunch of physics stuff once you accept the space-time, or wherever
your interest lies, might be more complicated.

I tend to think of all these things as the petals of a daisy which all
intersect at the center — an indication that the ideas here are
fundamental.

--Barry