[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 13:04:00 EST 2019

Once again, I am lost in my own thread.

I will say this:  often it seems, with both Marcus, and Glen, and even Owen and Steve, and to a lesser extent Dave West, that their (your) thinking is rooted in models from coding and because I have never been a coder those models are utterly unavailable to me.   I have always ... since childhood ...believed that if I worked hard enough at something I could understand it.  And so, almost 14 years ago, when I was cast loose in Santa Fe, and Steve and Owen and Carl and Frank took me into that jammed freezing cold office on Agua Fria.  They fed me when I was intellectually hungry and comforted me when I was intellectually lonely, and in gratitude, I was determined to understand their mindset.  But despite all that I have learned since that time, I have come to admit that there are probably chasms of thought too deep for people to reach across … or, at least, people like me, at this age.   I simply lack the models, the commonplace toys of thought, with which you guys so effortlessly play.

I will keep trying, of course,  But I thought, perhaps, being the New Year and all, now was a moment to stop and thank FRIAM members for your patience, your indulgence, and your profound commitment to teaching that has kept me alert and engaged and alive these last 14 years.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson