[FRIAM] Who knew a good Coors head could make this shutdown hillarius

∄ uǝʃƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:01:25 EST 2019

I've run into the Oregon branch (WACO) a few times: http://www.worldoregon.org/, mostly in meetup groups of hackers donating their time to work on public works projects (e.g. building UIs for the many open databases here in Oregon).  And this branch seems pretty focused on exposing people to issues they may not see much of in our more myopic press outlets (like the local news).

But I have zero experience with the larger conglomerate, WACA.  Depending on how you feel about the Jonathan Haidt, right wing "no free speech in universities" BS, we might be able to infer something from this:

  https://wacphila.org/events/economic-nationalism

A "no platform" SJW might infer that WACA is abetting Bannon's right-wing rhetoric by letting him talk.  I honestly don't know where I land on that, in general.  In this particular case, though, I have NO clue why anyone would listen to anything Bannon has to say.

But the WACA vs. WACO thing might be akin to the US Chamber of Commerce vs. local chambers of commerce.  I've found the local ones to be non-partisan and empathetic towards all manner of social issues, whereas the US one seems like a bunch of rich people building big walls to protect their privilege.  So, who knows?

--
∄ uǝʃƃ