[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jan 11 14:43:52 EST 2019

Glen -

As a compulsive intuitive modeler of "everything" as a network/field
dual, all this resonates well.  I also like your characterization as
"gooey colloid" and was reminded of JJ Thompson's Plum-Pudding model of
atoms.

I also like your action/consideration dual to rights/responsibilities...
sort of a verb/noun or active/passive duality?

Regarding the use of the term "effectivity".   I long ago began to
rephrase statements using "good" with similar statements being
"effective".   e.g. "Science is good at X" with "Science is effective
for addressing the topic/problem/question of X".   The key point is to
replace an absolute value judgement with a more contextualized and
relative one.

If Trump claimed "A Physical Barrier like a Concrete Wall or a
Beautifully Artistic Steel Slatted Fence is particularly effective in
helping personnel in charge of maintaining border security stop the
casual crossing of the border without appropriate inspection of cargo
and entry documents" rather than the variety of simpleton dumbass claims
he *does make*, he would A) put most people to sleep; B) be part of a
constructive conversation toward improving the effectiveness of our
southern national border.

- Steve

PS.  Thanks for the (underhanded?) complement on my "tight weave".   I
started to claim that I don't *intend* to make the discourse more
difficult to analyze, then I realized, that I probably DO intend to
prevent the context of any given conversation from being trivialized or
made degenerate for the sake of clarity over meaning.