[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 16:17:09 EST 2019

I think that conflates the communicat-or with the communication medium.  My question to Dave about the need for "individual" in his version of individualism was intended to sideload this point.  To what extent is a person simply a *vehicle* for innovations to bubble up through?  We spend all this faith-based energy believing that individuals have thoughts and intentions, when perhaps we're merely *tools*.  Dawkins, I think, proposed that we're just the hosts for our genotype.  Same idea.

To posit that Trump is a "good XYZ" is tantamount to saying he has thoughts and intentions at all.  I agree that he probably does.  But it seems to me his thoughts and intentions are all about *spectacle*.  He's willing to trade any postulate for its opposite *if* such a trade will attract more eyeballs to him.  Saying that's communication is like saying the TV, itself, programs the shows it plays for you.  At best, the TV constrains or filters the shows (e.g. full screen format vs. wide screen format).  We don't confuse the TV with a TV show and we shouldn't take Trump for a communicator.  He has no idea what it is he's communicating.

Nirvana said it best:

He's the one, who likes
All our pretty songs, and he
Likes to sing along, and he