[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 11 18:15:22 EST 2019

Jon,

I wrote this immediately but forgot to send it.

I have to say, the idea of a squandered metaphor really grabbed me.  I may have squandered some metaphors, in my own time.  A metaphor is definitely something that can be used prematurely or other than for its highest and best use.

I am not sure what monads and monism have to do with each other, other than that they share a linguistic root.  Honest.  I have trouble seeing the connection.

As I understand it, “monism” is a philosophical position that asserts that there is only one kind of stuff.  There are materialist monists, idealist monists, and neutral monists.  My “experience monism” (which I attribute to Peirce) is meant to be a form of neutral monism.  It makes no claim, takes no interest in, any claim that “experience” is either “in the mind” or “of the world”.  Experience just is.  Experiences represent only other experiences.

I don’t have much of a grip on MonADism.  As I understand monads, they are irreduceable “atoms” of existence.  They have no innards.   Now I suppose [he said, thinking aloud] that I might believe that everything that is consists of irreduceable particles of unchanging properties … and that would be a monist monadism.

I am still tantalized by the thought that “you-guys” know something that arises from the depth of your practice that could be put into words for a person like me.  I have written a little on metaphors in science, published less.  But what I have learned suggests that the more specific and the less handwavey a metaphor is, the more “juice” it has.  In that connection, I was sorry we didn’t pursue further John Balwit’s example of Goedel, Escher, and Bach, as a book that points into the heart of computation by describing three different practices that are peripheral to it and inviting the reader to get a feel for what they have in common.

I hope some folks follow up on your suggestion.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson