[FRIAM] Motives - Was Abduction

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 12 14:25:00 EST 2019

Steven,

Fall of 1968, I abandoned physics and adopted Asian Philosophy (first
semester at Macalester College). Since then, every spare moment, and
many not so spare, was dedicated to learning and practicing. My
vocation, quite by accident, was always programming/software/IT but
everything in that realm is intensely informed by the philosophy.
Like you, I have been totally underwhelmed by Alexander's Pattern
language stuff and especially its adoption in the software community. I
am really enamored with his early writing on "non self conscious
process," "fit" as a design principle; "unfolding," "Timeless Way of
Building," and a lot, but not all, of Nature of Order.
Given your career, "centered on the problem of how to help humans be
more effective/efficient through the leverage/mediation of computers"
really interests me. Englebart's paper on Augmenting Human Intelligence
(circa 1965) was truly inspirational but I admit ignorance about how or
if it had much impact. Nothing I have read in the area of UI / UX has
seemed to have that kind of focus. Perhaps you could share some insights
/ references from your work?
davew