[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 15 12:13:16 EST 2019

Nick wrote:

 "Computers are the conscripted sailors of our generation."

I would say that "computer users are the conscripted sailors.

Computers, computing, software: all are algorithmic, creating an
"algorithmic context" (Navy) within which human users (Sailors) are
constrained to act.
Like human sailors in the Navy, human users acting in this algorithmic
context can only go wrong if they attempt to utilize their "native
intelligence."
Moreover, this state of affairs is pretty much intentional (albeit
sometimes below the threshold of awareness). In the algorithmic world,
humans are nothing except sources of error. Even those developing the
software are assumed to be (the vast majority anyway) incompetent and
must be constrained by rigid and detailed methodology.
SkyNet has won and we are but its minions.

davew

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019, at 9:53 PM, Nick Thompson wrote:
> , I imagine, are old enough to remember this:

> **“The Navy is a master plan designed by geniuses for execution by
> idiots. If you are not an idiot, but find yourself in the Navy, you
> can only operate well by pretending to be one. All the shortcuts and
> economies and common-sense changes that your native intelligence
> suggests to you are mistakes. Learn to quash them. Constantly ask
> yourself, "How would I do this if I were a fool?" Throttle down your
> mind to a crawl. Then you will never go wrong.” ** ― Herman Wouk, The
> Caine Mutiny[1]> It seems right that the computer was invented by a democratic society
> after the largest successful naval campaign in the history of the
> universe. The navy was a giant algorithm.   Computers are the
> conscripted sailors of our generation.>

> Nick

> Nicholas S. Thompson

> Emeritus Professor of Psychology and Biology

> Clark University

> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

Links:

  1. https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1059565