[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Jan 15 13:01:06 EST 2019

Steve, I too would prefer the term asocial rather than anti.
However, I have, on occasion, been a 'domestic terrorist' which is
pretty anti-social.
I can really enjoy being part of a team — for a couple of decades I
played basketball 3+ hours a day, 7 days a week. I was, what they called
it at the time, a "hang round" — pre-initiate — with the Hell's Angels.
I was a youth leader in the LDS church, etc., etc. But, with the
exception of the church (wasn't my choice), I was never a "member" of
any group.
What prevents me from joining any group is the extent to which it
"codifies" itself — i.e. defines itself as a kind of set, with rigid
criteria for being a member of that set. If I accept / agree with /
behave according to only a subset of that criteria, I will not be
allowed to be a member, nor would I wish to be.
davew