[FRIAM] Few of you ...

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 13:18:37 EST 2019

So, while reading the wikipedia article, an old saw of mine re-emerges.  They talk about these sorts of things as "fluid" or context dependent.  Yet they never (given my dilettante attention) talk about transients, transition times, half-life, periodicity, etc.  How long does it take to self-stereotype?  How many smacks does it take to snap out of it?

The reason I ask is because, recognizing my (OK, fine!) asociality, I almost always adopt a role in any given social context.  It's a purposeful adoption and I've gotten quite good at it, I think.  Either there is no "me" to deindividuate *or* theories like self-categorization are brain farts of the imagination and have no real bearing on actual life.  (And there can be no in between! .... just kidding, of course.  I'm drawing the distinction for rhetorical purposes.)

The interesting thing is that I can don and doff these roles almost instantaneously.  Talk to one guy at the party and play the role of Programmer.  He goes off for a beer and talk to another person and play the role of Occult Scholar. (My favorite story is when Jon Parsons ejaculated into a velvet box to summon his red-headed homunculus that was later stolen from him by L. Ron Hubbard.)  Then she goes off when the host announces margaritas and launch into Cancer Survivor mode with someone else.  It's truly a breath of fresh air when I run across someone else who is willing to swap roles several times through a single conversation.

I sincerely pity the person who finds themselves playing one or a small cluster of roles for all or most of their contexts, assuming such people exist.

--
☣ uǝlƃ