[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 15 15:13:15 EST 2019

I appreciate the introduction of "roles" and "topics" and "attractors"
here.    I would say that *I* experience all three slightly differently:

Roles:  This subdivides into (roughly?) 3 modes

 1. Roles I was born/raised into...  Son, brother, classmate, boyfriend,
    husband, father.   These were handed to me by the culture I "became
    me" in.  I may have been mildly more self-aware and some might say
    cynical in my living/experiencing/elaborating these roles.
 2. Roles I adopted more consciously... Friend, Student,
    Employee/Subordinate, Researcher, Technologist, Businessman, etc.
    These roles are modeled after the ones I saw, but I believe my
    engagement with them exceeded some threshold of self-awareness to
    become self-intention.   Each of these roles might have supspecie.
 3. Roles such as I think Glen refers to, roles adopted in a very
    transient mode... understanding I'm doing so for a specific purpose
    in a specific context for (nominally) a very limited time....
    fellow traveler, cynic, seducer, authoritarian, submissive, pleader,
    demander, ranter, raver, etc...

Topics:  I believe these are orthogonal to Roles and I can approach any
topic from the point of view of one of the roles, or perhaps
vice-versa.  Topics generally subdivide as follows for me:

 1. Personal.  Things that have an immediate and *personal* meaning to
    me.  These are mostly about self-image, psychological and emotional
    states, physical states, immediate intimate relations, etc.
 2. Public.   These things tend to fall into the arena of (possibly well
    informed) opinions such as politics, religion, aesthetic
    preferences, etc.
 3. Technical.  These things generally fall in to the categories of
    Science or Technology... things which can be studied and much
    derived from "first principles".  These things (in principle) can be
    tested in something like an objective mode.  The "soft sciences" are
    getting "harder" all the time as they take on more mathematical
    rigor, as we live and study them longer we have more formal models
    for them, as we discover/develop new measurement technologies which
    were presumed to be out of reach in the past (e.g. fMRI, crypto,
    big-data analysis, etc.)

Attractors:  I take these to be the psychosocial context in which I
discover these roles (and role-topic pairs?) and my relation to them.
The larger culture is where these attractors (in particular the
born/raised roles (1)) exist.   Type 2 Roles are usually more context
specific, based in some subculture experience and therefore the
attractors are more dependent on the sub-context.  Type 3 Roles seem to
have the most restrictive attractors, depending more on my own
psychosocial context than perhaps the others, or maybe more to the
point, those contexts are more idiosyncratic to me.  They are more
likely to be adopted transiently and therefore have less investment and
equally I feel the "attractors" are more sweeping... there is a lot more
"acting as if" or "fake it til you make it" for me in this domain.   I
might enter a conversation for example, not intending to be a cynic, but
quickly find myself drawn into it by my conversant's adopting a
Pollyanna role, for example.

- Steve