[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Tue Jan 15 16:07:20 EST 2019

Funny, I was going to mention this (the hybrid car, not the interview)
as well.

Jonathan Wouk is Victor’s son, and was in my class at Harvard (1965).
We were both active in the Harvard Outing Club (hiking, spelunking in
NY, Virginia and W. Virginia, climbing in the Presidential Range in NH
on semester breaks), and Jon was one of the two classmates with me when
we canoed from Reindeer Lake in northern Saskatechewan to Eskimo Point,
in what is now Nunavut (was the Northwest Territory of Keewatin).

In one of those accidental meetings that you would think had zero
probability, in 2005 I ran into Jon and his mother and two men who were
very much older having breakfast in Manhattan. I kind of get the
impression that at least one of them was Victor or Herman. They are the
ones who finally told me, 40 years after the fact, that my parents and
the Wouks had hired a bush pilot to fly over our route to check on us.
Apparently he found us, but we never saw him. My parents never let on
that they had been part of it.

--Barry