[FRIAM] Few of you ...

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 18 14:42:16 EST 2019

Glen writes:

<   My guess is the only people who have ordinary, practical understandings of the dying process are (critical care) nurses, hospice workers, etc. who see it often.  And even though they aren't dying, our (intra-species) "mind reading" might give them enough to work on. >

The subjective can certainly be illusory, such as with suicidal ideation.   I am not claiming that dogs become suicidal, but they do shift their habits around.   Getting read for a daily activity, but then not engaging in it.  Not socializing with people or other dogs, withdrawing.    Finally, not eating.   It's not just instantaneous.   The habits fade over time.    I have another dog that was trending down, but now he takes thyroid pills and he's fine.   A person could say "I'm sad", and don't really have any more reason to believe them than I do by comparing their behavior to a dog's.

Marcus