[FRIAM] Few of you ...

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 17:19:19 EST 2019

OK. But the conception you're using requires a notion of function/purpose/telos, where the original context was 'what it's for' and the new context is a reuse. And as long as you allow that sort of dualism, then fine. But if you admit that the equivalence classes assumed by reusability are fragile to the memoried historicity and fine-grained structure of the reused thing, then the illusion shatters. Things always reduce to dynamically stable pockets of foam, artificially promoted to objects.

FWIW, I have this argument on a regular basis professionally. We just call it "replacability". A good enough simulation or analog is judged good enough by cross-model validation. And the validation criteria MUST be externally sourced.

I think the strongest argument you (or Nick) might have comes from neutral networks and the gen-phen duality.  In such we have not only robustness but also polyphenism. Although that conception (with which all complexity fans are familiar), I would claim it doesn't actually work. The map is never perfectly robust nor perfectly polyphenic. Different generators always show different phenomena if you look closely enough. The equivalence class we think we've identified is a fiction, albeit useful.

And, yes, my accusation of premature registration is intimately related to the psychological induction of illusory equivalence classes. You know me too well, now. 8^)

--
glen