[FRIAM] Wonderful History of Computing obit-- Fernando Corbató, a Father of Your Computer (and Your Password), Dies at 93

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 15:44:29 EDT 2019

When I was a graduate student in computer science at the University of
Pittsburgh (Pitt) in the early seventies, there was no one to teach a
graduate course in operating systems.  At that time, the issues were
multiprogramming, deadlocks, interprocess communication, etc.  They decided
to hire an MIT professor to fly to Pittsburgh once a week to teach OS in a
three hour class.  They chose John Donovan, an Irish Bostonian who said
that he had earned 7 graduate degrees in two and a half years at Yale and
MIT.  He worked extensively with Corbato and was constantly saying,
"Cahbato and I..."

Thanks for your indulgence of the elderly.

Frank

Frank Wimberly

My memoir:
https://www.amazon.com/author/frankwimberly