[FRIAM] All hail confirmation bias!

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 29 10:21:04 EDT 2019

Dave,

"All is illusion" is exactly the kind of partial draught that I am complaining about.  It clings to the very hope it mocks.  If skepticism is what you desire, then there is no warrant to speak of anything beyond experience, and experience is "of" nothing except  other experiences.  So the only question becomes, To what extent is experience organized.  Or is experience merely random.  If by "all is illusion" you mean there are no consistencies in experience, then, of course, you are welcome to that view, in the same way you are welcome to the view that all the molecules in the lovely Dutch beer sitting in front of you will instantaneously leap out of the glass,  roll across the table, and jump into your mouth without any assistance from your hands.   But I wouldn't bet on it.  If I wanted some of that beer, I would reach for it.

Nick
Nicholas S. Thompson