[FRIAM] All hail confirmation bias!

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Jul 30 05:37:12 EDT 2019

Hi Steve,

I agree with what you say below, and had a similar reaction to reading Ortega.  From today’s perspective and my own scientific experience set, it would rarely seem natural to me to think of a complex human function as a novel and irreducible thing.  We can see so many areas of cognition develop as accretions along the sequence versebrate/mammal/primate/human, with sometimes re-organizations at various partitionings.  Also as you say, if we didn’t want to somehow bound the problem at things that are cognitive in the fast/neurological sense, the nesting of response phenomena could be pushed almost arbitrarily far back.

Glen’s ponts about the many problems of my ad hoc “painted window” metaphor are also points I entirely agree with.  As someone who likes and frequently recommends the Conant and Ashby control-theorist’s way of talking about implicit models in control loops, I very much like the project of understanding how much freedom there is for model representations.

If Ortega had been writing today rather than in the early decades of the 20th century, and if he had been a professional cognitive scientist at least in greater admixture with being a political philosopher and (maybe somewhat) historian, I wonder in how far he would have needed a different argument structure.  He seems to me clearly an advocate of reason, so I don’t think he would have rejected any of these things that we now know.

At the same time, any time I pick up a a new person and try to listen to him, I am aware that all good writing is done to a purpose, and the need to be finite (preferably short) makes all such constructions unsatisfactory in important ways.  To other purposes, a writer of the same logical style as Ortega may (probably would) not have wanted to draw a dividing line between man:builder-of-stories and the rest of the animals. I assume Ortega’s purpose is to get somewhere near the center of a characterization that makes self-destructive and world-destructive behavior comprehensible and thus something we can try to find ways to deal with.  The characterization of such behavior as “irrational”, while always available based on what one chooses to cast as rationality, may not be particularly helpful in finding remedies.  That frame is closer to the common-behavior way we always wrap a narrative around conflicts, lecturing (in our own minds) the people we are in conflict with about why what they are doing is bad and we would never want to do that, and don’t want them to do it.  One can say “good people should try to be rational; you are being irrational and I don’t see how any person could be good and could choose to behave as you are”.  Well, okay, but then what?  I assume Ortega is trying to put forward a frame that offers a “then what”.  From my short reading of commentary, I think he has a whole philosophy around these things, which is developed across several books.  But I am hopelessly far from following up the rest of it.

Take care,

Eric