[FRIAM] are we how we behave?

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:40:09 EST 2019

I can't help but tie these maunderings to the modern epithets of "snowflake" and "privilege" (shared by opposite but similar ideologues).  I have to wonder what it means to "learn" something.  The question of whether a robot will take one's job cuts nicely to the chase, I think.  How much of what any of us do/know is uniquely (or best) doable by a general intelligence (if such exists) versus specific intelligence?  While I'm slightly fluent in a handful of programming languages, I cannot (anymore) just sit down and write a program in any one of them.  I was pretty embarrassed at a recent interview where they asked me to code my solution to their interview question on the whiteboard.  After I was done I noticed sugar from 3 different languages in the code I "wrote" ... all mixed together for convenience.  They said they didn't mind.  But who knows?  Which is better?  Being able to coherently code in one language, with nearly compilable code off the bat?  Or the [dis]ability of changing languages on a regular basis in order to express a relatively portable algorithm?  Which one would be easier for a robot?  I honestly have no idea.

But the idea that the arbitrary persnickety sugar I learned yesterday *should* be useful today seems like a bit of a snowflake/privileged way to think (even ignoring the "problem of induction" we often talk about on this list).  Is what it means to "learn" something fundamentally different from one era to the next?  Do the practical elements of "learning" evolve over time?  Does it really ... really? ... help to know how a motor works in order to drive a car?  ... to reliably drive a car so that one's future is more predictable?  ... to reduce the total cost of ownership of one's car?  Or is there a logical layer of abstraction below which the Eloi really don't need to go?

--
☣ uǝlƃ