[FRIAM] are we how we behave?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 6 01:05:52 EST 2019

> Steve writes:
>
> "I think you described the difference between vocational training and an education."
>
> Do you believe the courses captured something deep, learned by humanity over generations, or is it simply that it was broader than vocational training?

I think there is a difference between learning the 'bare minimum' set of
techniques as pre-scribed to handle a task (or set of tasks) and
learning the theory (and metatheory?) of a discipline which was
developed over generations.

There are many contexts where technicians (Dental, Medical, Electronic,
Mechanical, etc.) can be very effective at doing many of the tasks
currently handled by the Dentists/Doctors/Engineers they work with/for.

> I don't really buy it.  I think there is not a useful skeleton that connects people.   We are all aliens, or at least can aspire to be, and that is for the best.

I'm not sure I track this one?

Taking my best guess, I think my answer would be that culture (whatever
that is) as encoded/presented in natural language is a kind of fascia
that does in fact connect people thoroughly and deeply.   It might be
arguable what/when/how that is "useful" but the fact that it (rich,
shared natural language, with lots of embedded knowledge about relevant
humans/nature) seems to exist across many (all?) cultures and a great
deal of time (thousands of years minimum?)  suggests it is adaptive to
*something*, like living/working/(playing) in large groups while
navigating/negotiating/exploiting novel/harsh environments.

"We are all aliens, or at least can aspire to be, and that is for the
best" sounds a bit like nihilistic cynicism?

  I think I might be able to agree that given that *most of us* are
embedded in a rich cultural milieu, there are times and conditions where
withdrawing from it and acknowledging/reveling-in our sometimes-island
status might be a "darn good thing".   That is what I think I experience
when I am in my "loner"mode which is most of the time...  whether it is
sitting in meditation, doodling on a piece of paper, hiking along the
river, chopping firewood or reading a good book... though the latter
provides a *significant* coupling for me with not only the author, but
to her mother tongue/culture, all of her technical/literary influences
and all of her other readers.

Maybe I'm missing the point(s) entirely?