[FRIAM] are we how we behave?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:49:03 EST 2019

Parts of this discussion remind me of my struggle to find my identity when
I was in highschool.  My father was a nuclear engineer and a manager of
large projects. I had always thought that science and engineering were,
respectively, the royal road to the truth and the methods for constructing
the built world.  I had already been admitted to Carnegie Institute of
Technology with an Alfred P. Sloan scholarship.  Then I read a book by
Mortimer J. Adler and Clifton Fadiman about the great books of Western
culture.  They argued for the importance of a liberal education and I was
convinced.  I started regretting that I had committed to a school that
wasn't a University.  Then a few things happened.  During freshman
orientation at CIT the provost said something like "If you came to a
technical university because you think that humanities and social science
are BS you might be surprised to learn that 40%of your coursework here will
be in those areas".   In 1967, two years later, CIT became Carnegie Mellon
University.  I transferred to UC Berkeley during my sophomore year.  For
what it's worth.

Frank Wimberly

My memoir:
https://www.amazon.com/author/frankwimberly