[FRIAM] are we how we behave?

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Mar 6 16:47:00 EST 2019

Marcus -

My quote of Heinlein the renowned "Human Chauvanist" was somewhat
tongue-in-cheek.   I applaud the general spirit of the polymath, always
seeking, never-say-die he implies here, but as you point out, there is
no clear boundary around how much one can learn.

And in the spirit of your last response characterizing polyculture over
monoculture somewhat as the "foam" Glen referenced earlier, I cannot but
agree with you.

The richness obtained and experienced by being *an individual* in the
context of a (multi?)culture is not only that everyone else "has so much
to teach you" but also that "there is so much you can defer to others".
This doesn't have to be an either-or between depth/breadth, but maybe
more of an appreciation for being (more) able to choose a subset of what
breadth/depth one will seek to explore/cover?

- Steve