[FRIAM] Manifold Enthusiasts

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 9 17:07:41 EST 2019

Steve,

All I can say is, for a man in excruciating pain, you sure write good.  Your response was just what I needed.

Now, when I think of a manifold, my leetle former-english-major brain thinks shroud, and the major thing about a shroud is that it covers something.  Now I suspect that this is an example of irrelevant surplus meaning to a mathematician, right?  A mathematician doesn’t give a fig for the corpse, only for the properties of the shroud.  But is there a mathematics of the relation between the shroud and the corpse?  And what is THAT called.

So, imagine the coast of Maine with all its bays, rivers and fjords.  Imagine now a map of infinite resolution of that coastline, etched in ink.  I assume that this is a manifold of sorts.   Now gradually back off the resolution of the map until you get the kind of coastline map you would get if you stopped at the Maine Turnpike booth on your way into the state and picked a tourist brochure.  Now that also is a manifold of sorts, right?  In my example, both are representations of the coastline, but I take it that in the mathematical conception the potential representational function of a “manifold” is not of interest?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/