[FRIAM] 15555-10253-closing-a-gap-to-normal-hearing---white-paper.pdf

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 31 13:23:41 EDT 2019

Hi, Everybody,

In the home congregation, we have had many interesting conversations about
hearing in difficult environments, a conversation not only of intense
interest to people interested in computer analysis and representation of
sounds but also to a bunch of old guys shouting at each other in a crowded
college dining area surrounded by hard surfaces.  Recently, we have been
trying to assemble our limited knowledge of the cochlea and to grasp the
fact that it is not a bank of discrete resonators doing a Fourier Transform,
but an innervated sliver of meat with liquid on both sides coiled up in a
tiny snail shell.   We are eager for any signs that a hearing aid company
has started to reach beyond differential amplification by means of FFT to
actually focusing on the cues that really matter for speech comprehension.

Anyway, .. Anyway... .  I skimmed through the "white paper" below and
thought that, even though it is "captive" research, it had some interesting
features.  Consequently, I thought I would pass it around to the list before
I lost track of it.  My friend Jon Zingale accuses me of crowd sourcing my
reading and that is EXACTLY what I am doing.  So, beware.

https://wdh.azureedge.net/-/media/oticon-us/main/download-center/white-paper
s/15555-10253-closing-a-gap-to-normal-hearing---white-paper.pdf?la=en
<https://wdh.azureedge.net/-/media/oticon-us/main/download-center/white-pape
rs/15555-10253-closing-a-gap-to-normal-hearing---white-paper.pdf?la=en&rev=0
FC7&hash=B7D7D58F75093770CA7E148F72520C1D6BE28CB1>
&rev=0FC7&hash=B7D7D58F75093770CA7E148F72520C1D6BE28CB1

If anybody on the list knows of somebody doing advanced research on how the
cochlea passes sound on to the brain and how the brain analyses it, we would
love to hear from that person.

And has for you young folks who think this will never happen to you:  have
you noticed that your students and young associates and your daughter's
boyfriends MUMBLE.  The moment you find yourself saying, "Curse these
millennials, why don't they speak up like normal people," you should be
taking an interest in hearing technology.

Just sayin'