[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 1 14:06:02 EDT 2019

Very interesting.  In the last post, I deleted a paragraph where I analogized the human population to a swarm intelligence optimization problem, each human being an ant pursuing her own little solution, but the whole circumscribing (up to a convex hull) the solution space. I deleted it because I was being too glib with the analogy. Humans are very complicated organisms, not zero-intelligence agents.

But we do have *modes* where we behave very depth-firsty. My depth-firsty methods don't kick in in very many contexts. Others tend to use them in more places. E.g. I have a friend who really dug deep into ferementation food and drink. I limit myself to beer. But he launched into everything that involved any type of fermentation to get a deeper (hands-on) understanding of our symbiotic relationship with those little bugs. I struggled to stay interested in any context but that of beer ... though the bread phase was interesting. In any case, even *that* relatively narrow aspect of "food and drink" is pretty diverse, almost fractal. We can find a connected path from any part of fermented food and drink to pretty much any other aspect of humanity that I've ever encountered, from domesticated animals to humans visiting the far side of the moon.

All that text is merely to provide context that my guess is your depth-firsty commitment to a reasonably trustworthy reductionism isn't as depth-firsty as you think it is. It's more like those massive muscles in your back or leg that attract all the attention, but that are useless without the thousands of little control tissues providing the context that allows the big guys to do their work. The real weight is being pulled by the infrastructure, not the rock stars. Anyone whose suffered from Tennis Elbow will attest. 8^)

--
☣ uǝlƃ