[FRIAM] A Question For Tomorrow

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Wed May 1 14:39:36 EDT 2019

Glen,

I direct my posts at who ever made me think about something.  I think I am following up on a question you asked, roughly, why are we talking about consciousness when basic facts of biology pose all the interesting problems and we know a lot more about them?  My basic New Thought (new to me, I mean) was, why talk about biology when we can talk about computer programming, given the wonders that simple algorithms (eg, cellular automata) can generate.  I wondered how any computer programmer could have doubts about materialism: i.e., doubts about how emergent properties (such as consciousness) could be generated from higher and higher levels of material relations.  The Alphabet Soup Letter I sent you shows how the complexities of the genome could readily arise from material relations.

You basic point is however correct.  I think many of us who write here are trying to work out some ideas and we use the posts of others as the occasions for those developments.  Threading might not be as ... um ... tight as should be.  But I find that looseness actually exciting  -- people here are trying to figure stuff out.  FRIAM has been a tremendous help to me in that regard.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson