[FRIAM] More on levels of sequence organization

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sat May 4 13:50:26 EDT 2019

Roger writes:

"The hierarchy in this case looks like linguistic compression to me, a way of summarizing results, the system is not depending on the levels of organization to work, we find levels convenient for explanations of how the system works."

Glen writes:

"I'm loosely analogizing with Koza's automatically defined functions (ADFs) where the operators can work over both the primitives and the "macros".

Considering how we go back-and-forth in long threads here, trying to sort out semantics, I don't see why it is reasonable to expect a generative learning approach to employ internal neurons that have easily interpretable meanings.  Same with ADF:  "Here's a program written in a private language, how does it work?"  Like an Egyptologist trying to figure out hieroglyphics and understand the ancient culture.

Marcus