[FRIAM] words RE: words

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed May 8 15:52:07 EDT 2019

I am going to plug into this conversation at a posting from Nick, and attempt to pose an answer to his question about why "we" 'cannot' or 'refuse to' offer a modicum of enlightenment. I would hope that others shred, or improve, my argument, but only Nick can say if it approximates an answer for him.

Begin with computational science (Ramon Lull via Leibniz) which is a science of an abstraction. Fast forward to computer science, which is also predominately about computational mathematics, still an abstraction. Turing adds yet another aspect, but still abstract.

Parallel efforts to embody the abstract begin with Descartes, Napier, et. al. and proceed via Babbage to von Neumann to your multi-core smart phone.

Combined, the abstract and the physical define a very interesting, realm — a space for exploration and experimentation. Alas, this realm is absolutely *_Artificial._* [Even efforts to graft biological cells onto chips or DNA-based computation are still artificial, and little more than alternative embodiment mechanisms.]

We are able to perform wondrous things, more than Horatio could imagine, in this artificial realm. But do those accomplishments tell us anything about "Reality?" if we can effect 'artificial emergence', 'artificial intelligence', 'artificial life', or, eventually, 'artificial consciousness', does that tell us anything about emergence, intelligence, life, or consciousness outside of the artificial realm in which we work our wonders?

In the case of mathematicians, as Frank has pointed out, the answer is, "who cares?" I suspect the same is true of most computational and computer scientists. I would cite, as partial evidence, the disdain expressed in CS departments at research institutions like UNM for things that smack of "applied;" like operating systems, databases, software engineering, and, heaven forbid, user experience design.

But suppose someone did care. A huge obstacle stands in the way. The artificial, the abstract, is never more than, can never be more than, an approximation of "Reality." If the 'answers' one seeks is in the space between the approximate and the actual, then the answer would be no.

Even metaphor fails us. We might posit that the 'emergence of a glider gun' in Conway's game can be used as a metaphor for understanding some of the elementary structural-couplings posited by Maturana and Varela. But, neither side of the metaphor offers any useful referents that we can seek analogs of on the other side of the metaphor, and therefore is is of not more use than "love is a rose."

So Nick, "we" "cannot." But I suspect that is unsatisfactory.

davew