[FRIAM] starlink trail

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon May 27 15:11:34 EDT 2019

<another long-winded anecdote>
I was born "under the rising sign of Sputnik" in 1957 (S1 & S2 went up
late that year).   I was just about 1 year old when Explorer 1 and then
Vanguard 1 went up in early 1958. Vanguard 1, 2, 3 are still up there,
being in an unusually high orbit for the time.   The crowdsource
Moonwatch
<https://www.universetoday.com/100744/citizen-science-old-school-style-the-true-tale-of-operation-moonwatch/>
project was already developing and was used to try to track/find
Vanguard, but the first siting of an artificial satellite was of
Sputnik.  Ham radio folks were tracking the radio signals, but visual
siting (telescope or binoculars) was much trickier.

Some here were born early enough to have been young adults at that time
and probably have first-hand memories of these events, and perhaps even
attempting their own observations?  My first experience with direct
satellite observation was *probably* when the Echo
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Echo>"satelloons" were up.  At
roughly 100' diameter with a deliberately reflective surface (passive
microwave relays), they were apparently highly visible to the naked eye.

We've come a long way baby! </anecdote>

<speculation>  We (humans collectively) now have something approaching
10,000 satellites or fragments in orbit...  one man's "trash" is another
man's "treasure" of course.  I haven't heard Musk announce a SpaceX
"Salvage Operation" yet, but at some point, that seems like a viable
business, given the expense of launch... the materials in derelict
satellites would seem to be valuable once a method for "recycling" those
materials could be developed.   I believe we are still in the early
stages of a "radiation" of design-species in satellites, not having
settled on any specific body plan and functional conceit...  some might
eventually depend on a modest amount of "foraging" once in orbit?

Delta-V is clearly the most valuable resource which for all but
solar/mag-sail propulsion depends on reaction mass...  which suggests
turning "big ones into little ones" with space junk (grapefruit to
bus-sized objects) into streams of (ionized) particles as small as
individual molecules.    Variations on "tether" and "sail" technology
also may be good uses of captured "space junk".   A big challenge to all
this is the orbital mechanics sophistication to use less DeltaV matching
orbits to "catch" junk than is gained by capturing it.   Oh yeh... and
still do something actually useful besides just wander around eating and
pooping things.

<speculation>