[FRIAM] These Hidden Women Helped Invent Chaos Theory

George Duncan gtduncan at gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:54:15 EDT 2019

Interesting. Thanks, Tom.

I can relate through the Royal McBee LGP3O. In 1962 I had a summer job with
Chicago Bridge and Iron Company. That was their only computer. Physically
it was as described--about like a big freezer. It was programmed using 17
machine language instructions and punched paper tape input. I used it to
calculate weights of weirdly shaped steel pieces used in the construction
of oil and water storage tanks. You optimized execution speed by placing
instructions strategically wrt its rotating drum. Well it did have speed
relative to a Friden or Marchant calculator!

George Duncan
Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com
See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Land: (505) 983-6895
Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and
luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may
then be a valuable delusion."
>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest
power." Joanna Macy.