[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 10:40:55 EST 2019

Re: leaving the interstitial space unmodeled being motivated reasoning -- I struggled with that, mostly because I lamely qualified it twice: 1) only sometimes and 2) only if you *cannot* multi-model it. My emotional (?, intuitive maybe?) motivation is that I too often see people slap together something that kindasorta works, then the begin believing their slapped together thing because it kindasorta works (80/20 rule) and it's too inconvenient to pay back that technical debt. If your team is ready to systematically maintain a skeptical stance, then go ahead and model the environment/economy and be willing to dump/iterate on it when it's falsified. But otherwise, maybe it's best to leave it unmodeled.

Re: the extension of ownership to larger meaning (stewardship, systemic consequences, etc.) -- I agree completely. I wanted to say "Well said." But I'm not sure you've said it well.  Nor have I. Nor has anyone I've read. The tragedy of the commons is difficult to grok and even more difficult to explain, say, to the dog walkers who leave their dog shit in the school yard behind our house ... or worse yet, to the teenager with fantastic math skills who would prefer to spend her time categorizing fashion choices.