[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 10:57:31 EST 2019

On 11/7/19 4:15 AM, Prof David West wrote:
> Or violence. Ad hoc, then systematic.

On Violence: A Comparison of Georges Sorel & Frantz Fanon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLN3anBByY
(Parentheticals reflect my inability to transcribe what he's saying.)

>     "In the context of the colonial dispensation, Fanon saw violence on the part of the oppressed masses not only as necessary, but also as therapeutic. For him, violence was an act of pure (?) catharsis, because it was through the unceremonious imposition of violence that the oppressed masses were stripped of their freedom and dignity. And only through the judicious counter use of violence can the rights be restored. In Fanon's view, the spilling of the blood of the hated conqueror was analogous to the spilling of the blood of the sacrificial lamb. It had redemptive value. (confused stumbling) There can be no redemption without the shedding of blood. For all these reasons, therefore, the spilling, or to be more precise, the lavish spilling of the blood of the conqueror is the sine qua non for the liberation of the oppressed masses." So it's only through violence that the oppressed can discover themselves and their lost humanity, the humanity that's been denied. And with the killing of the oppressor, it becomes quite evident to the oppressed that the oppressor can bleed.

The somewhat ad hoc violence being used by rent-seekers like Trump and his fascist followers is being met with somewhat judicious violence being used by others like antifa. As Steve points out in his last post, whether the more judicious uses of violence will work or not depends on the depth of their strategies.