[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 10 03:59:40 EST 2019

Glen,

Your "larger point is that communities are
> responsible for policing themselves. Everyone should *welcome*
> challenges to their narrative. So, Obama should have welcomed
> impeachment inquiries into his actions. Trump should welcome the
> impeachment inquiry *and* that into Russian interference. All rational
> people should welcome challenges to their words and actions."

is dead on, with a minor caveat: ... rational people should welcome rational challenges ...

What Schiff, and the 500-1000 people I am including in "They" is not rational - it is emotional and ego-driven.

Based on her questioning of several Trump admin witnesses, Ocasio-Cortez should be leading the impeachment effort  - quiet, informed, questions that clearly demonstrate the errors of the other side — rational challenges absent all the ad hominen rhetoric. It would quickly be obvious to the majority of the population why Trump should be removed. And, in the short run, it would give the Republicans the grounds for actually supporting impeachment and convicting — something that will never happen with  the toxic-partisan Schiff-led efforts.

davew