[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 11 06:26:17 EST 2019

Mea Culpa - you are absolutely correct that the vegan straw man (pun kinda actually intended) was a silly thing to raise and makes me guilty of the same errors I chastise in others.

It would be an interesting exercise to enumerate the actual individuals I am lumping into "They," but it would have to be more nuanced than simply "in" or "out." Categories would include active story tellers, e.g. Schiff, bruised egos, e.g. Hillary, partisan sharks smelling blood in the water, pundits protecting a reputation, distancing opponents, e.g. the Democratic presidential hopefuls, etc. — because it is never black and white.

Pelosi would not make the collection, except maybe as a "prisoner of circumstances."

The most distressing, to me, aspect of what is happening is that the discussion - rational on both sides, critical of both sides, has been reduced to a pretty much exclusive focus on one office and one individual. It is impossible to have an informative discussion about actions taken by the individual, in historical context, in terms of philosophy, policy, and context.

I was speaking recently with a friend whose profession is political historian. She was comparing Trump and JFK with regards actions in the areas of nepotism (and generally trusting family and "cronies" over political professionals) and the intelligence community (both men spoke ill of it and ignored it). Interesting stuff, but she could not imagine such a discussion getting attention, or getting published, in today's black and white rhetorical context.

davew