[FRIAM] capitalism vs. individualism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Nov 11 20:17:08 EST 2019

Glen writes:

<  But even though the auto shop is only a few blocks from the trolley stop, she *refused* to take it. It was much more convenient for her to have me slice out 2 hours (1 hour per trip) of my day, burn a bunch of gas, etc. than it was to ride the train(s). And she's (ostensibly) also an advocate for public transportation.  >

BART is easy for us.   It is a downhill walk a couple blocks, and then 7 minutes in to work.   It would be more than that for commuting by car.   It addresses the parking problem, which would be a mess.   For trips across the bay, it can be a big savings depending on the time of day.   One could be parked for an hour trying to get on the bay bridge.   At other times, I can understand why people might avoid it:  People passed out on the floor, and various rough characters coming and going.    It doesn't bother me enough not to do it -- I kind appreciate that reality check.   And really in a city there are people working all times of day, and there would be witnesses even at odd hours.

Marcus